We implement the Port Augusta/Quorn Partnership Transition policy in conjunction with all schools across Port Augusta and Quorn. The Deputy Principal oversees the transition processes for all students transitioning into our school.
Preschool to School Transition
Commencing in Term 3 staff from Augusta Park Primary School visit local preschools to get to know children and families before school transition visits in Term 4. We also:
- Hold information session for families at our feeder Preschools (Augusta Park Childhood Service Centre and Flinders Children’s Centre).
- Assist families in completing school enrolment forms
- Work closely with families to ensure extra transition is provided to identified children.
- Ensure each family has received transition information and answer any questions.
- Provide confirmation of school enrolment letters and notification of transition visits to all prospective families by the end of Week 8.
Transition visits occur as follows:
Families and children meet at the library. Once children are settled the Principal and Deputy Principal introduce themselves then families are taken on a site tour. At the conclusion of the tour families are provided with further information about the school and given an opportunity to ask questions.
Children are dropped off and collected from the classroom to take part in activities with their classmates and teachers. Children need to bring a sun safe hat, a piece of fruit/vegetable and a healthy snack for recess.
Children are dropped off and collected from the classroom. Children need to bring a sun safe hat, a piece of fruit/vegetable and a healthy snack for recess and lunch. Children will participate in playtime with the rest of the school at recess time.
Children are dropped off and collected from their classroom. They will experience a full day of school and will need to bring a sun safe hat, recess and lunch.
Special Options Transition
We ensure an individualised student transition process takes place for Special Options students. The transition process is flexible and adapted to meet the needs of individual students and their families in consultation with DECD/non-DECD service providers and the site the students are transitioning from.
Transition visits for Special Options students include:
- Site tour with the Principal or Deputy Principal.
- Meeting with Deputy Principal, Teacher, All Children’s Education (ACE) Team and other school staff as required
- Classroom visits (as negotiated to meet the student’s needs)
- Participation in school events as deemed appropriate i.e. swimming lessons
- ACE Team and class teacher visiting students school and classroom to get to know each other
For students transitioning into a Special Option at another site or who are transitioning out of a Special Option the Deputy Principal works closely with students, families, DECD/non-DECD service providers and with personnel from other sites to ensure a successful individualised student transition process takes place.