We implement the Port Augusta/Quorn Partnership Transition policy in conjunction with all schools across Port Augusta and Quorn. The Deputy Principal oversees the transition processes for all students transitioning into our school.
Preschool to School Transition
Commencing in Term 3, staff from Augusta Park Primary School visit local preschools to get to know children and families before school transition visits in Term 4. The school will also:
- Hold an information session for families at our feeder Preschools (August Park Childhood Service Centre and Flinders Children’s Centre)
- Assist families in completing school enrolment forms
- Work closely with families to ensure extra transition is provided to identified children
- Ensure each family has received transition information and answer any questions
Transition visits occur as follows:
- Tuesday, Week 5: 8:50am – 11:20am
Families and children to meet in the Library. A family information session will be held and children will meet two of our Reception teachers; Miss Tara Nayda and Miss Rebecca Kidman. Families can then leave as the children will take part in activities with other children and their teachers until the end of recess play time. Please bring a piece of fruit/vegetable and a healthy snack for recess. Children will also need a sun safe hat.
- Tuesday, Week 6: 8:50am – 11:20am
Children are dropped off and collected from their classroom to take part in activities with other children and their teachers. They will stay at school until the end of recess play time. Please bring a piece of fruit/vegetable and a healthy snack for recess. Children will also need a sun safe hat.
- Tuesday, Week 7: 8:50am – 1:30pm
Children stay at school until the end of lunch play time. Please bring a fruit snack, recess, lunch and a sun safe hat. Children can be collected from their classroom at 1.30pm.
- Tuesday, Week 8: 8:50am – 3:10pm
Children experience a full day at school, including recess and lunch. Please bring a packed recess, fruit snack, lunch and a sun-safe hat.
Special Options Transition
We ensure an individualised student transition process takes place for Special Options students. The transition process is flexible and adapted to meet the needs of individual students and their families in consultation with DECD/non-DECD service providers and the site the students are transitioning from.
Transition visits for Special Options students include:
- Site tour with the Principal or Deputy Principal.
- Meeting with Deputy Principal, Teacher, All Children’s Education (ACE) Team and other school staff as required
- Classroom visits (as negotiated to meet the student’s needs)
- Participation in school events as deemed appropriate i.e. swimming lessons
- ACE Team and class teacher visiting students school and classroom to get to know each other
For students transitioning into a Special Option at another site or who are transitioning out of a Special Option the Deputy Principal works closely with students, families, DECD/non-DECD service providers and with personnel from other sites to ensure a successful individualised student transition process takes place.